This facility’s online presence is captivating. The operator of this facility understands that providing complete information is essential to saving time, money and frustration for all involved, including staff, the families and friends of those incarcerated, and the taxpayer. By providing clear, relevant and meaningful online content, they have gone far beyond what over 95% of other facilities in the United States have done. These sheriffs and administrators are communication experts. They are to be commended.
Jails that made the top 50 list usually have the following information:
- Website that is professionally done, updated regularly and easy to navigate.
- Inmate Search and/or list that is updated daily.
- Clear information about the facility and contact info.
- Visitation rules and schedules.
- Information on how to send mail and what is allowed.
- Information about how to deposit money for Inmates.
- Information about Inmate Services such as Programs and Rehabilitation.
- A Most Wanted List
- A list of Active Warrants
- Virtual Tours and/or photos of the facility.
- Inmate Handbooks.
- Employment information for recruiting staff.
- Availability of information in Spanish.
Top 50 Jails in America – Listed by State
UPDATE May 1, 2012: We have temporarily disbanded the jailex ratings from our website due to the difficulty in keeping our scoring updated properly. We anticipate coming out with 2012 results at the end of the year, but on a more limited basis. We wish to focus our attention on those jails who provide quality information, unfortunately a minority of the jurisdictions.
To check the JAILex Rating of the jails or prisons in your area, click here.
If you want to see the criteria JAILex uses to rate each jail and prison, click here.