Blog / Drug & Alcohol Addiction Help

How Can I Get a Public Defender?

If you have been charged with a crime and cannot afford an attorney, you have the right to have one appointed for you. This attorney is usually called a public defender. You need to tell the judge in court that you need an attorney appointed to you. ... Read more

How Can I Find Out if I Have an Arrest Warrant?

In most cases, arrest warrants are public record, therefore they are accessible by you and others. There are some exceptions, including probation violation warrants. In some counties, if you have violated probation for any reason including catching a... Read more

What is a Felony Sentencing Guideline?

After your loved one is convicted of a felony, the next step is sentencing. If he or she reached an agreement with the state and avoided a trial, the sentence length is sometimes part of that agreement. If sentence length isn't included or no agreeme... Read more

Do Drug Courts Work?

Whether or not to accept a drug court offer is a decision your loved one will make after being advised by his or her attorney. If your loved one decides to participate in drug court, knowing how it works and what the success rates are may help you un... Read more

What Do Sex Offenders Have to Report?

Once your loved one registers with a state as a sexual offender, his or her name, photo and other information will be listed on the state sex offender registry.  In addition, your loved one will be required to follow strict guidelines of behavior the... Read more

How Do Drug Courts Work?

If you are charged with a non-violent crime, and drugs or alcohol are a factor in your life, you may be offered the chance to enroll in drug court as an alternative to going to jail. There are more than 2,600 drug court programs nationwide. Each stat... Read more

What Rights Do Felons Lose?

A felony conviction doesn't end with doing time or completing probation or parole. Once you have a felony record, you lose certain rights, sometimes forever, other times until you petition to have those rights returned to you. In some cases, the dete... Read more

What is a Parole Violation?

Parole is the supervision of someone who has been released from prison before completing their full sentence. For example, if your loved one was sentenced to five years but was released after two years, he or she will most likely be supervised by a p... Read more