San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau Inmates

San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau Inmate Search

To find an inmate who is incarcerated in the San Mateo County Jail system in California, go to VINELink.

  • On this page, click the blue “Offenders” tab on the left upper side of the page.
  • A pop-up window requires you to press “Continue” if you wish to search for the inmate. You will not be registering for notifications - only conducting an inmate search - so it is acceptable to click continue.
  • Click on “Choose Agency”.
  • Use the dropdown menu to highlight and click on San Mateo County.

To Search by Offender Name

  1. Enter the inmate’s first and last name.
  2. Click on “Search”.  (Blue button at the bottom of the page).
  3. Type in the shown security code.

*TIP*- If you are not sure how to spell the entire name, click on the “Partial Name Search” box before pressing “Search”.

To Search by Offender Number

  1. Enter the inmate’s offender number.
  2. Type in the shown security code.
  3. Click “Search”.

*NOTE* - The offender number must be correct or your search results will not be accurate.

Inmate Information

Click on the inmate’s name. (Blue link)

You will then be shown the inmate’s information including his or her “offender number” which is the number you put on money orders and envelopes. You can also double check to be sure which facility is holding the inmate.

Available Information Includes:

  • Inmate’s Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Age
  • Race
  • Gender
  • Custody Status – If Released, Date, Reason
  • Housing Facility

*NOTE* If you get “No offenders matching your criteria were found  “ clear the name fields and only type in the first letter or two of the first and last names and click submit. The system is designed to pull all inmates whose names begin with those letters.

It is possible that you or the facility are slightly misspelling the inmate’s legal name. This method will pull everyone whose name begins with the one or two letters you typed in. From that list you can locate the inmate.

If the search does not locate the inmate:

  • You may be spelling the name wrong. Use the one or two letter method listed above.
  • He or she might no longer be incarcerated.
  • You might not have the correct name. Some people go by a middle name or nickname their entire lives, but when incarcerated their legal birth names are used. If you suspect this is the case, contact a friend or family member of the inmate to get the legal name for the search.
  • The inmate may have been moved. Do the search again and click “All Agencies” so the entire state will be checked.

Recent Arrests and/or Pre-trial Inmates in San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau

If you are certain your inmate is in San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau, or at the very least in San Mateo County County, go to this page to search for them.

If the San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau inmate search website is not currently online or up to date, call 650-363-4360 for assistance in locating your inmate.

The San Mateo County Alternative Sentencing Bureau is "open" 24-hours-a-day. When you call, give the staff member the name of who you are looking for and a birthdate or age if you have it. That person will let you know if your inmate is there.

At minimum you will need a first and last name. If you can provide the middle name or initial that is even better. In a perfect world you will also have the inmate's birthdate, but if not, an estimated age will help.

If you are not sure what county jail the inmate is located in, it helps to at least know the geographic area. Knowing what state the inmate is in is good; knowing which county is even better.

In some cases, there will be more than one possibility. Use patience and check them all. Go here to get started on a search for any jail in the state of California or go to this page to begin a search for all jails in the United States.

If your inmate has been charged but not yet convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony, he or she will most likely be held in San Mateo County County within the county where the crime occurred. If you only have the city name, look up the city's police department, call and ask them if they keep inmates at a local jail or send them to the county jail. If they are sent to the San Mateo County County Jail, either look them up here or call 650-363-4360 for assistance.

Recently convicted felons are sometimes held at San Mateo County County Jail until transport to a California State Prison is available. Inmates sentenced to less than one year incarceration or those convicted to serve time for misdemeanors will do their time in the San Mateo County County Jail system.

How to find an Inmate already convicted of a felony and sentenced in the state of California

State Inmates

Most states have Department of Corrections websites that allow you to type in a felon's first and last name and pull up inmates in that state. Go to this page for inmates in California. If you need to find an inmate in another state prison system, go here.

When you click next to the inmate's name or on a link, it will show you which jail or prison the inmate is housed in. If the inmate is no longer incarcerated, but is on parole/probation or discharged, it will tell you that as well. In addition, many state prison inmate pages show recent mug shots.

Federal Inmates

The federal prison system has its own inmate locator called the Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator.

Type in the inmate's name and it will tell you where he or she is incarcerated and their projected release date. It also lists released federal prison inmates and the date they were released.

Federal inmates who are moved from one prison to another will show as "No longer in federal custody" on the system until they reach their next federal prison destination. This movement can take a few days to several months to complete, so keep checking back to find out where the inmate was taken.

ICE Inmates

The ICE Detainee Lookup allows friends, family members and interested parties to locate illegal and/or undocumented immigrants that are in the United States without permission.

They are held in detention centers approved by Immigration Custody and Enforcement until their hearing or date they are deported back to their home country.

To look up the detainee, users need the full legal name the person used upon their arrest and the country the person claimed they originated from. It helps to also have the "A-number", which is the number that ICE assigned to them upon their detention, which you can use instead of attempting to type the detainee's name.