New Visitation Policies in Allegheny County Jail Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus
Because of concerns for the safety and wellness of both staff and inmates at the Allegheny County Jail in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, contact visits of any type may be suspended.
Approved Non-contact visits with family, friends and the inmate’s lawyers may still be allowed when at-home or onsite video visitation is not available, however given that new guidelines are changing daily please check the visitation page or call 412-350-2000 for updates.
Video Visitation at Allegheny County Jail
At-home and onsite video visitation guidelines for Allegheny County Jail, when this service is available, can be found by going to the visitation information page.
We highly recommend that you call 412-350-2000 first for any changes due to staff shortages or other unforeseen circumstances, including whether your inmate has become ill and is unable to be in the general population where video kiosks are available.
How Long Will These Changes Last?
Experts in the study of the COVID-19 are anticipating that spread of the virus will be a ongoing concern for Allegheny County, the state of Pennsylvania and the entire United States until well into 2022 and maybe even beyond. We are witnessing the virus becoming more contagious, but less deadly over time. Many people think that the 'more contagious, but less deadly' Omicron variant will infect so many people that a higher level of natural immunity for the majority of Americans will be the end result.
Will the Inmates in Allegheny County Jail Be Safe from Getting Sick With COVID-19 Coronavirus?
Whether the inmates are safe from contracting the coronavirus depends entirely on two things:
At this stage most people who get the coronavirus show very few symptoms beyond what you might experience with a bad cold or a mild case of the common flu. In fact, the Omicron variant is turning out to be less deadly than the common flu we experience every year.
Studies that have been done are showing that the hardest hit are those 60 years of age and older, those with pre-existing medical issues like diabetes, leukemia or obese individuals. Young men and women rarely become very ill, and when they do, seem to recover quickly.
Allegheny County Jail is encouraging inmates to practice ‘social distancing’, which means staying as far apart as possible. In addition, our staff is advising inmates to avoid shaking hands, washing their hands often, not touching their face, nose, mouth or eyes, and refraining from touching ‘common areas’ throughout the facility.
Given the close proximity of inmates and staff to each other in this lockup, it is going to be very difficult to prevent the spread of coronavirus once it is introduced into the facility as the virus can spread via the microscopic vapor that we release every time we speak, cough or sneeze.
We will continuously update this page as the spread of this virus accelerates and changes to policies occur.
1. Enroll in an account with Securus Technologies.
2. Choose one of three account types, Securus Debit, Advance Connect or Direct Bill.
3. Choose [facility_name_1}, then connect with your inmate.
4. If you have any questions, call Securus: 972-734-1111 or 800-844-6591.
To find out fees, how to's, calling times, limits on phone calls and other systems Securus has do that you can communicate with your Allegheny County inmate, check out our Inmate Phone Page.
NOTE: All of your inmate's phone calls are recorded and stored. It is advised not to discuss their pending case.
**NOTE** GTL is in a transition merging into a new company called ViaPath Technologies.
All the information you need to understand depositing money into an inmate's trust fund, specifically for phone calls in Allegheny County, can be found on our Send Money Page.
For all the information you need to know regarding scheduling, cost, rules, tips and guidelines of inmate visits at the Allegheny County Jail, check out our Visit Inmate Page.
For full instructions on the Allegheny County Jail Inmate Phone Syste, what the costs are, how it works, and tips and guidelines on rules, regulations and saving money on calls, check out our Send Money Page.
Allegheny County Jail uses GettingOut for some or all of its communication services with an inmate.
If you want to deposit money using this company for your use or your inmate's account, there are four ways to do it:
For all the information you need to know, including tips, guidelines and warnings about depositing money in a Allegheny County Jail inmate's account for communication services, check out our Send Money page.
1. First, Register or Sign In to GettingOut/GTL
2. Purchase the services you want for your Allegheny County Jail inmate.
3. All inmates have free access to the tablets to read their letters from family & friends, but there are many other services available to keep your inmate busy while incarcerated... such as Games, Books, Music and Movies. These other services come with fees that you can pay for when you pay for phone service.
To learn more about Tablet Rentals for inmates, including the cost, all the services available and everything else you need to know, check out our Tablet Rental Page.
When mailing a letter or postcard to an inmate, please address your mail as follows:
Inmate's First and Last Name
Inmate Name, DOC Number
Allegheny County Jail
950 Second Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Emailing Messages & Photos
Facility_name_1} contracts with GTL GettingOut, the same service that handles iInmate Phone Systems and Video Visitation, for sending secure messages and photos between you and your inmate.
If you are not already registered, do so here, or Log in.
Then use the Facility Finder to:
1. Select Allegheny County Jail,
2. Add your inmate to your list of contacts,
3. Add a credit or debit card to cover your costs.
Go here to this FAQ to get answers to how the transition to ViaPath from GTL and gettingout will affect your account.
Other than 'at the jail' visits between you and your inmate, which is explained and outlined in detail on our Visit Inmate Page, Allegheny County remote video inmate visitation can be done using the services of GettingOut.
There are three ways to remotely visit your inmate in Allegheny County Jail:
1. Using the GettingOut Kiosk at the jail.
2. Using your computer from home.
3. Using your phone on the GettingOut apps.
To remotely visit an inmate in Allegheny County follow these steps:
1. Start by confirming that Allegheny County Jail's Video Visitation is working correctly by looking up Allegheny County here.
2. The next step is to create an account here for GettingOut.
3. Then add funds to your account.
4. Last, select Allegheny County Jail, and then the inmate you wish to communicate with.
Other Allegheny County Services provided by GettingOut:
- Phone Calls & Voicemail
- Email, Photo & Video Sharing
- Inmate Tablet Rental
* All the information you need to have complete knowledge about inmate visitation; policies, rules, fees, schedules, tips, dress codes, and children, lawyers and clergy visitation in Allegheny County, can be found on our Visit Inmate Page.
Allegheny County Jail Phone: 412-350-2000