What is an Interstate Compact Agreement for a Felon?

An Interstate Compact request made while you are on probation or parole can take a long time, but there is no other way to have your supervision transferred from one state to another without it.  Here are some of the basics that apply to most cases.

Your probation/parole officer does not have to agree to request a transfer for you. It is a privilege, not a right. You must request the PO’s permission before any other steps can be taken. The PO doesn’t have to give you a reason for refusal, or even have to have a reason, so it is smart to stay on the PO’s good side before making the request.

Be sure all of your supervision fees and court costs are current before asking. While there is some leeway with restitution payments and transferring out of state, they are pretty set on having your supervision fees and court costs paid before a transfer. Some states have interstate Compact request fees, others do not. If yours does, you will need to pay it before the request can be processed.

You must have a family member in the state you wish to move to. That person has to have lived in the state for the prior 180 days and should be a parent, sibling, stepparent, spouse or grandparent. This family member must agree to provide you a home when you first arrive and help support you while you get on your feet.

Once the request is submitted, the receiving state will conduct a field examination to be sure the house is suitable and that the relative actually does live there and agrees to have you come there. The receiving state does not have the right to refuse your transfer as long as the housing and other requirements are met. The sending state determines whether to allow you to go.

If all is approved, you will be given travel papers that state how many days you have to get to the new state and check in with the new probation/parole department. They will supervise you for the sending state for the duration of your term. If you violate in any way, the sending state has the option to come and get you and make you return to them for supervision. If your violation is a felony conviction, the sending state has no choice and must come and get you.

Get more facts here.



About Mark Miclette 682 Articles
writes about inmates, jails, prisons, courts and the lives of people who live and work within the United States Criminal Justice System. His mission can be summed up in a single word; transparency.