Craig Tribal Association Jail

Craig Tribal Association Jail Information

By preserving, protecting, and promoting its history, culture, and traditions; encouraging self-sufficiency and a strong work ethic; exercising the powers of self-government and sovereign immunity; and offering social, health, economic, and educational resources, opportunities, and services that contribute to the well-being of the tribal community, the Craig Tribal Association, a federally recognized Indian tribe, are going to defend and improve the quality of life of its members.

Tribe: Craig Tribal Association [previously listed as Craig Community Association]

Phone: 907-826-3996

Physical Address:
Craig Tribal Association Jail
1330 Craig/Klawock Hwy
Craig, AK 99921

Mailing Address (personal mail):
Inmate's First and Last Name
Craig Tribal Association Jail
P.O. Box 828
Craig, AK 99921

Other Jails and Prisons

Search Craig Tribal Association Jail Inmates

Search Craig Tribal Association Jail Inmates

Directions / Map to the Craig Tribal Association Jail
Understanding US Bureau of Indian Affairs

Because the legal system in ‘Indian Country’ operates outside of the legal jurisdiction of the cities, counties and states where the individual Indian Reservations are located, and the land is wholly owned and governed by the Tribes, the jails and detention centers on those lands are maintained and run by the individual Tribes. The police that provide the security and enforce the laws and the courts that mete out justice are also controlled by the individual Tribes.

There are over 90 jails and detention centers throughout Indian Country, of which, the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Office of Justice Services (OJS) staffs and operates a quarter of these facilities. The remainder are operated by Tribes through the PL 93-638, Self-Governance Compacts and a few are fully funded and operated by a tribe. Each jail is unique in operation and location.

Indian Reservation and Tribal laws also fall under the legal jurisdiction of the federal government. If a federal law has been broken, the Department of Justice may get involved. In that case, a convicted person from a crime committed on Indian Lands may be required to serve their time within the BOP (Federal Bureau of Prisons).

⇓ Learn more ⇓ Show less