Guidiville Rancheria Jail

Guidiville Rancheria Jail Information

An influx of non-Indian people drove the Guidiville Pomos from their original territory near Lake County, California, towards Mendocino County during the California Gold Rush. In 1851, the US government dispatched commissioners to arrange treaties with the tribe. Although the Guidiville Band and other Pomo bands ceded their ancestral territories, the treaties were never ratified by the US Congress, and the Guidiville never obtained the promised treaty territory. These treaties were hidden in Washington DC and were not discovered until the twentieth century. Meanwhile, the Guidiville Band was left without land.

Tribe: Guidiville Rancheria of California

Phone: 707-462-3682

Physical Address:
Guidiville Rancheria Jail
405 B Talmage Rd
Ukiah, CA 95482

Mailing Address (personal mail):
Inmate's First and Last Name
Guidiville Rancheria Jail
P.O. Box 339
Talmage, CA 95481

Other Jails and Prisons

Search Guidiville Rancheria Jail Inmates

Search Guidiville Rancheria Jail Inmates

Directions / Map to the Guidiville Rancheria Jail
Understanding US Bureau of Indian Affairs

Because the legal system in ‘Indian Country’ operates outside of the legal jurisdiction of the cities, counties and states where the individual Indian Reservations are located, and the land is wholly owned and governed by the Tribes, the jails and detention centers on those lands are maintained and run by the individual Tribes. The police that provide the security and enforce the laws and the courts that mete out justice are also controlled by the individual Tribes.

There are over 90 jails and detention centers throughout Indian Country, of which, the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Office of Justice Services (OJS) staffs and operates a quarter of these facilities. The remainder are operated by Tribes through the PL 93-638, Self-Governance Compacts and a few are fully funded and operated by a tribe. Each jail is unique in operation and location.

Indian Reservation and Tribal laws also fall under the legal jurisdiction of the federal government. If a federal law has been broken, the Department of Justice may get involved. In that case, a convicted person from a crime committed on Indian Lands may be required to serve their time within the BOP (Federal Bureau of Prisons).

⇓ Learn more ⇓ Show less