Chowan County Detention Facility Sending Money

The information below provides complete instructions regarding the Chowan County Detention Facility:

  • Inmate Accounts and Deposits,
  • Commissary Information,
  • Depositing Money Online,
  • Mailing Inmate Money, or
  • Sending Care Packages 
  • Special Jail Fees

Follow these instructions exactly to help ensure that your inmate has access to commissary, and in some cases medical and bail money, as soon as possible.

How to Put Money on an Inmate Account in the Chowan County Detention Facility

There are usually four options for putting money on an inmate's books:
Option 1 - Dropping Money at the Jail
Bring money to the jail in person. 
Either the jail personnel will process the Inmate Account payment or you will use a self-serve kiosk in the lobbies that accepts cash, debit or credit cards.
Option 2 - Deposit Inmate Money Online
Chowan County Detention Facility and others often use a private company to process all online deposits to an inmate's account. The company charges you a small fee for doing so, but the fee probably isn't as much as gas and parking would cost to take it to the jail in person.
Option 3 - Mail the Inmate Deposit to the Jail
Mailing a deposit takes more time to process than the other methods but can be done if you live too far away to bring it in person and you don't have a debit/credit card for online deposits. Never send cash. Always send a Money Order from the US Post Office, a reputable bank or Western Union.
Make the Money Order out to the inmate's name and put their Inmate ID# in memo section of the Money Order.
Call Chowan County Detention Facility at (252) 482-3822 to confirm the address to send the money order to and how they want it made out.
Failure to do this properly will delay your inmate getting his account credited and may require you to have to resubmit a second money order.
Call (252) 482-3822 to ask facility personnel who to make the money order out to, and where to send it.
Option 4 - Make an Inmate Deposit over the Phone
Most of the online companies that provide deposit services will accept deposits over the phone with a debit or credit card.
To do this you will need the inmate's offender # (inmate ID #) and full legal name.

Chowan County Detention Facility Commissary Instructions

Chowan County Detention Facility uses McDaniel Supply Company for their inmate commissary. 

McDaniel Supply operates the JailPackStore website so you can order online using a credit or debit card. They will ship your order directly to your inmate at Chowan County Detention Facility.

JailPackStore has a very cumbersome website that requires you to:  1. register, 2. add a credit or debit card, and then 3. locate your inmate, before you can even see their commissary products, prices, additional fees, etc. 

Here are the basic details of what they sell and their fees:

Commissary products that you can purchase -

Candy, Chips, Meats, Seafood, Writing supplies, Hygeneine Kits, Underwear. These are all in various pre-defined packs ranging in price from $11.00-$27.00. The shipping fee is an additional $4.95.

Maximum Deposit -


Fee to Deposit Money using a credit or debit card - 

$3.95 to deposit $10.00 - 25.00

$6.95 to deposit $25.01 - 100.00

$8.95 to deposit $100.01 - 200.00

$10.95 to deposit $200.01 to 300.00

Any money that you deposit and don't immediately spend will be held as a credit on your account for future purchases.

What is the Maximum Amount I can Deposit in an Inmate's Account?

Jails typically have limits on how much money an inmate can have on the books at any one time.

They also have limits on how much you can deposit for an inmate at a time.

The standard monthly limit an inmate can spend is between $300 and $400.

Call Chowan County Detention Facility at (252) 482-3822 or click here to learn the Inmate Account deposit limits and other rules regarding depositing money on an inmate's books.

What Can You Purchase for an Inmate's Commissary at Chowan County Detention Facility

JailPackStore is the Chowan County Detention Facility's outside vendor for Commissary Items. They have a very good mix or Chips, Snacks, Candy, Meat, Seafood, Hygeine products, Letter writing materials and Underwear items for sale on their website.

Here is a sample of what you can purchase for your inmate:


$19.75 + $4.95 shipping + $6.95 fee to add money = Total cost to you before tax $31.65

MAC'S Pack Caramel Corn 6oz - 1
Bud's Best Butterfinger Cookie 6oz - 1
Chex Mix - Cheddar 1.75oz - 1
Combos Buffalo Blue Cheese - 7oz -1
Creme Cookies 13oz - 1
White Cheddar Cheez-its 1.5oz - 2
Kar's Honey Roasted Peanuts 3.5oz - 1
Kar's Sweet and Salty Mix 2oz - 1
Snyder's Jalapeno Pretzel Pieces 2.25oz - 1


$15.00 + $4.95 shipping + $3.95 fee to add money = Total cost to you before taxes $23.90

Stamped Envelopes - 8
Glue Top Writing Pad 8.5x11 - 1
Friendship Greeting Cards w/Stamps – 2


$26.50 + $4.95 shipping + $6.95 fee to add money = Total cost to you before taxes $38.40

Degree Extreme Blast Deodorant - 1.7oz - 1
Colgate w/Baking Soda Toothpaste - 6.4oz - 1
Dove Sensitive Skin Soap - 4oz- 2
Suave Advanced Therapy Lotion - 10oz - 1
Garnier Shampoo - 13oz - 1
Axe Body Wash 16oz – 1

If you don't have a bank card and want to see if they will accept a money order for payment call JailPackStore at 800-822-9388. Their hours are Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM.
They are closed Saturday and Sunday.

Who can Purchase Commissary for Chowan County Detention Facility Inmates?

Anybody can purchase commissary for your inmate as long as there isn't a no-contact order in place, as this might get them in further trouble.

Because of the ability for family members and friends to purchase commissary online from JailPackStore using a credit or debit card, you and your inmate have more options.

Why Do Inmates in Chowan County Detention Facility need Commissary?

Since inmates are not allowed to possess cash money while in custody, the Chowan County Detention Facility allows the inmate's family and/or friends to purchase products online from JailPackStore.

This allows them to obtain items such as personal hygiene products, snacks and stationery supplies. Otherwise they go without, and you don't want them to be obligated to others for their basic needs.

Medical Copays, Jail Fees and other Inmate Expenses

Many jails debit (charge) an inmate's commissary accounts for medical visits, any medications including over-the-counter pain reliever, jail stay fees, restitution, etc.

Taking this into consideration when deciding how much to deposit will ensure the inmate gets the amount you wanted him to have after things are deducted.

A quick call to the Chowan County Detention Facility at (252) 482-3822 will let you know how much is deducted from the books for each fee related to medical issues or other jail expenses.

Online you can find the medical fee information by going here, Other Chowan County Detention Facility fees can be determined by going here or calling (252) 482-3822.

Important Tips and Information About Your Inmate's Commissary

Sometimes an inmate's commissary money is used to purchase items to pay gambling debts or purchase prescription medicine from another inmate. If your inmate is spending more than $10.00 a day on commissary items, you are most likely paying for him or her to gamble or buy drugs.

Some inmates, specifically those who are targeted for being weak or are in jail for rape or child molestation, are forced to relinquish their commissary to avoid regular beatings from other inmates.

If you think your inmate is being targeted for violence or having their commissary taken to avoid beatings, contact the Chowan County Detention Facility and ask to investigate. If an inmate is being targeted, most jails will intervene and have the victim placed in protective custody, away from the general population.

Put your financial needs first and the inmate's second. Don't forget, the inmate is getting three free 2,000 calorie meals a day. The food may not be of the highest quality, but the commissary food is generally much less nutritious.

Click here to purchase commissary online for your inmate at Chowan County Detention Facility.