Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center Inmate Bail & Bonds

How do Bail Bonds work at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center

What is Bail?

Bail is the temporary release of an accused person awaiting trial on condition that a sum of cash money be lodged to guarantee their appearance in Franklin County Court in Benton, Illinois.

Once the defendant is booked and filed for arrest, a custody and bail hearing will be scheduled, usually within 48 hours.

At the hearing the judge may issue a bail amount. This bail or bond is a refundable sum of cash money paid to the court to provide incentive for the defendant to attend all scheduled court hearings.

Instructions on how to post Bail or Bond in Franklin County

Because Franklin County and Illinois can change their bail bond procedures, it is always best to call either the jail or the court directly after an arrestee has been booked. Go directly to the Franklin County Jail and Court pages here to find the phone number you need for this information.

Ask the jail or court representative these specific questions:

  1. Is the defendant eligible for bail or a bond?
  2. How much will the bail or bond be?
  3. Where do I go to pay it?
  4. Are there any days or times of the day or night when I cannot post bail?
  5. What types of payment are allowed? Cash? Money order? Credit card? What types of credit cards? Property or other collateral? Surety bonds?
  6. Do I have to use a bail or bond agent?

To save you the time and trouble, has compiled the bail bond policies for the Benton area which you can link to directly by going .

If you feel the bail is too high and you wish to get it reduced, contact a lawyer or the defendant's public defender and get them to look into what they can do to get a bail reduction.

Option 1 - How to Post Bail using Cash for a Defendant at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center

The first option, a cash bond, is to pay the full bail amount in cash, cashier's check, or money order. Personal Checks are not accepted.

Depending on the crime, this amount could be anywhere from $100 to $75,000 or more.

To pay a cash bond, go to Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center or to the court where the bail hearing occurred. Going directly to the jail will quicken the release of the defendant as any bail paperwork processed at the court will have to be transferred to the jail.

Cashier's Checks and Money Orders may be made out to Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center where the defendant is being held, but usually to the Franklin County Sheriff's Office or to the Franklin County Court.

To purchase money orders visit any Western Union, Moneygram or Post Office.

Option 2 - How to Post a Private or Surety Bond for a Defendant at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center

In the event that someone does not have the full bond amount available to him or her, there is what is called a private bond or surety bond.

This is an agreement made with a bail agent or bondsman who will post the full bail amount. In return, the defendant and/or cosigner will pay a premium to the bail agent. This premium will be 10-15% of the full bail amount.

For example, if bail is posted at $5,000, then the premium will cost approximately $500-$750.

A bail agent will often require some form of collateral, for example, a lien on a house, a car or jewelry. This is to ensure that if the defendant skips bail, or does not appear in court, the bail agent has some sort of compensation for the full bail amount being paid.

Remember, by making an agreement with a bail agent the signatory takes responsibility for paying the full bail amount if the defendant does not appear in court.

Option 3 - How to Post a Property Bond for a Defendant at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center

If you are a landowner in Franklin County you may be able to post a property bond. Property within Franklin County may be used as collateral to bail someone out. All owners of the property must be present to sign the bond in order for this to happen.

To find if property located outside of Franklin County can be used as collateral, call a local bail or bond agent or contact a defense lawyer.

Click here for additional information on how to post bail at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center.

Who can post Bail or Bond for a Defendant at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center?

Anyone over the age of 18 who can produce a valid government-issued photo ID can post bail. Accepted forms of ID include a Photo Driver's License, Passport, or Motor Vehicle issued ID.

In many circumstances, if the defendant has the resources, they can post their own cash bail from jail.

Surety Bonds are arranged by a third party, typically a Illinois state licensed Bail Bond firm.

Juveniles may only be bailed or bonded out of custody by a parent or legal guardian.

How are Bail or Bond Amounts decided in the city of Benton, in Franklin County, state of Illinois

As a general rule, a judge will most likely set a higher bail or bond for more serious crimes and a lower amount for less serious crimes. Other factors may include, but are not limited to:

  • The nature and circumstances of the offense
  • The defendant's record of previous convictions
  • The defendant's past record of appearance in court after being admitted to bail
  • The defendant's family ties
  • The defendant's employment record
  • The defendant's financial resources
  • The defendant's character and mental condition
  • The defendant's community ties

When will the Cash Bail or Collateral be returned to me?

Money or collateral will not be returned until the defendant's court case is finished, so realistically it could take several months to years, depending on the severity of the charges. If a defendant posts his or her own bail, Franklin County Court may retain whatever amount of fines or fees have accumulated throughout the trial.

What happens to my Bail or Collateral if the Defendant misses Court?

The Judge may order a failure to appear warrant for the person's arrest or the Judge may order a Bail Commissioner's Letter be issued that will be sent to the person with a new court date.

If cash bail was paid, the entire amount may be forfeited.

How an Inmate Makes a Phone Call to You or Others from Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center

To set up a phone account so that your inmate can call you from Franklin County do the following:

1. Enroll in an account with Securus Technologies.

2. Choose one of three account types, Securus Debit, Advance Connect or Direct Bill.
3. Choose [facility_name_1}, then connect with your inmate.
4. If you have any questions, call Securus: 972-734-1111 or 800-844-6591.

To find out fees, how to's, calling times, limits on phone calls and other systems Securus has do that you can communicate with your Franklin County inmate, check out our Inmate Phone Page.
NOTE: All of your inmate's phone calls are recorded and stored. It is advised not to discuss their pending case.


How Do Inmates in Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center Make Phone Calls?

To receive phone calls from inmates in Franklin County, or to assist them in making phone calls to other people, follow these steps:

Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center uses the service of Lattice Inmate Phone Systems for phone communication between inmates and their friends and family.

There are two different types of phone accounts you can sign up and pay for:

  • A PIN Debit Account is an 'inmate-controlled' prepaid debit account that allows inmates to place calls using funds maintained in the inmate's PIN Debit Account. The inmate can make calls to any telephone number. The inmate's family and friends can deposit money into an inmate's PIN Debit Account and you cannot control who the inmate calls, however the facility may have certain phone numbers blocked.
  • PrePaid Collect calls are collect calls that are paid for in advance. The inmate's family and friends can deposit money to their own home or cellular telephone number, and the inmate will only be allowed to call your number with these funds. Funds deposited into your Prepaid Collect account can also be used to leave voicemail messages for an inmate. 

Cost: The cost of phone calls ranges from $0.21 and $0.25 per minute.

If you are having difficulty accessing the website, there are two other methods for setting up, and paying for an inmate's phone account:

  • Depositing money by phone: Call 888-843-1972. Lattice accepts major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Agents are available 7:00AM to Midnight EST.
  • Depositing money by mail: Money Orders and Cashier's Checks only should be made payable to Lattice Incorporated and mailed to the following address:

Lattice Incorporated
PO Box 536
Collingswood, NJ 08108

  • When depositing money by mail, include your name, phone number and Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center, where your family or friend is currently residing.
  • Specify if the money is to be deposited into your PrePaid Collect Account or the inmate's Pin Debit Account.
  • If the deposit is for an Franklin County inmate's Pin Debit Account, please be sure to include the inmate's name and PIN number.

Phone - 888-843-1972
Contact online

For all the information regarding phone calls with Franklin County inmates; rules, policies, phone calling times, limits and more visit our Inmate Phone Page.


How to Send a Carepack Commissary Package Directly to an Inmate in Franklin County

To send a commissary carepack (food, snacks and goods) directly to an inmate in Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center follow these steps:

  • Go to JailATM, choose Illinois, then choose Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center
  • Type in your inmate's last name or their Inmate ID.
  • Select your inmate, and then you will be prompted to Register with them to open an account.
  • Select the products you want shipped to them at Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center, and then input your payment method. 
  • NOTE: There may be a limit on how much product you can send your inmate in Franklin County at any one time.
  • If you need to phone customer support, call 877-810-0914

For all information, tips and available items for shipping Commissary packages or sending money to an inmate in Franklin County Juvenile Detention Center check out our Commissary Instructions Page for Franklin County.