They may not be directly connected to the internet, but inmates at LA COUNTY JAIL - Nidorf Juvenile either currently, or may soon be able to be able to rent tablets within the jail that allow them to have access to the following services and information:
- Phone Calls - Inmates may make calls directly from their tablet allowing for more privacy. The rates are the same as the phones in the unit, and the calls are still recorded and monitored.
- eMessaging - Communicate via a text based message or picture. Fee based system.
- Job Search - Using JobView, a secure job search application, inmates have the ability to see what jobs are available when they are released.
- Education - Free educational platform and course catalog that provides thousands of educational resources.
- Self Help -Inmates have daily access to mental health and addiction recovery programming.
- Music - Top-40, Hip-Hop, Country, Rock, Gospel, and more.
- Law Library - Legal research with up-to-date case information.
- eBooks - Thousands of available titles.
- Religion - Religious resources for spiritual guidance.
- Games - Inmates can play their favorite games. Available through monthly subscriptions
- Facility Services - Digital access to submitted forms, requests, facility documents, and notifications from staff.
The availability of tablets may seem like something that inmates who are serving time do not deserve, but here are some of the benefits for inmates in Los Angeles County:
- Keeps inmates busy.
- The threat of losing access to tablets keeps them better behaved.
- Safer for the staff to keep inmates happy.
- Allows communication with family members.
- Educational programming.
- Legal research.
- Social programming such as anger management, substance abuse, etc.